a life of fibre

Why do I do it?

I have quite enough to do so why do I do it? My daughter will be thirteen next birthday and wants to have a party in the garden with bunting and lots of candles. Candles – easy, I’m just saving all my jam jars of course. Although she;d really like them to be all different colours so there will be more work involved. I’m already wondering if I should paint them or just wrap them in tissue paper. Undoubtedly if I paint them I’ll end up doing designs rather than just colours because I always create more work for myself. Why do I do it?

There are lots of places to buy bunting and she’d be delighted with it but oh no, I have to decide that I will make the bunting and that if I’m doing it there’ll have to be lots of it. So I’ve worked out that I need a minimum of 60 flags to make the bunting. Easy you might think and it would be if I got out my sewing machine, but of course, I haven’t. I am a feltmaker so obviously I’ve chosen to make them from hand rolled felt. Again, it wouldn’t be so bad if I made large pieces and cut them up, I’d have the requisite sixty quite quickly.

No, in my wisdom I’ve decided that each flag must be different (like who’s looking that closely?) and they will be in colour only, no neutrals (even harder for myself). Did I stop there? No, I went on to decide that as they’d be used at night I’d like some sparkle on each one to reflect all these flickering candles I’ve yet to make holders for. Why do I do it? I have realised that if I put the sparkle in during felting then I won’t be sat there sewing on sequins later which would be another task on the list. I’ve used sparkly yarns, sparkly fabrics and angelina fibres where I can.

As soon as I had the idea I began to make a flag whenever I had a few minutes to spare and I now have twenty flags. It felt good to reach the one third stage but now, I’m still busy with other things and the two thirds yet to do seem to be looming larger every day. Here’s the ones I’ve done already.

Not brillinat photos but the light’s not good today, there’s a very brisk breeze and the cats kept helping so it’s the best I can mange for now.

I’m beginning to crack, maybe I should include knitting and crochet in the production methods as I could use some sparkly yarns and they would still be wool. So okay I’ve cracked, knitting and crochet are included and that will increase my potential working hours as I could crochet whilst watching TV in an evening. The bunting doesn’t have to be ready until early October but the school holidays are rapidly approaching and I have a show coming up next month for which I need to do work, so time may be in shorter supply than I’d like. Plus of course we will go away on holiday and if I try to take my feltmaking kit with me I’m sure words will be had. Reckon I can sneak in some crochet though 🙂

If any of you lovely people would like to: donate oddments of sparkly yarns; knit or crochet a flag or make a felt flag for inclusion then I would be absolutely chuffed and delighted to accept it. Not because it’s less for me to do but because I love the idea of including flags from different people and I’ll be reminded of those people each time the bunting is used. In return, you’ll go on a roll of honour on my blog and I promise faithfully to contribute to a project of yours whenever the madness seizes you and you’re sat with your head in your hands saying Why do I do it?

I know of course why I do it – I’m a besotted Mum and despite the extra work I think it’ll be fun. If you’d like to jon in and I hope some of you do, the flag should be approximately 8″ (20cm) wide at the top and 8″ from the top to the tip of the point. Any suggestions on other ways of including sparkle are also welcome.

Tags: , , , , ,

21 Responses to “Why do I do it?”

1. As I have FOUR daughters, myself, and remember, well, the birthday party days…I would be delighted to help out with this project! Please put me down for two and please e-mail me your mailing address.
    XXO-

2. kate says:

You do it because you love them…..despite everything – a mother’s love makes everything seems possible (including any potential unreachable targets!!)

I have two lengths of bunting you can borrow – both sewn – green/yellow flowery and red and white flowery – and great minds must think alike – I am crocheting bunting at the moment, just not had time to blog about it yet – bit busy at work to allow me to do what I want to do!

x

3. Angela says:

Brilliant thank you Heather. email on it’s way 😉

4. Angela says:

thank you so much Kate. Bunting not required until end September thanks 🙂

5. Well … I’m totally “bunting-challenged”. But … I’m pretty good at getting the word out so … I’m going to pass this on to as many people as I can and … hopefully you’ll get a few more contributors.

What a nice mom you are … your daughter is lucky! 🙂

6. Sherri says:

I just wanted to tell you how lovely I think it is what you are doing. Alas I am not much help in this area…but just felt the need to write and wish you all the luck…your daughter is a lucky girl…

~Peace~

7. London says:

Only a mother’s love! I make jewelry so am unable to help!?! I send my very best wishes to you though!

8. Mary Anne says:

Dear Great Mom!
    How about some glitter! Spray adhesive or pvc glue and lot’s of glitter!!!!!! Good luck, Mom of 4-2 girls and 2 boys from 17 years-40years
    Biggest lesson-simplify!simplify SIMPLIFY!!!!!

9. Angela says:

Thank you all so much for your good wishes. It doesn’t matter what you normally make if you want to have a go you’d be most welcome. Thanks for the spray adhesive idea Mary Anne, that sounds really quick and easy. 🙂

10. Florcita says:

I think this is an excellent project! Yes, a whole lot of work too. I just had my son’s birthday and I thought of doing all the bunting hand felted but the 40C temperatures kinda discouraged me.
    I’d like to help you but I don’t know If I will make it. Im in the middle of vacations + work + guests… If I do make it, I will let you know. I will really try.
    The things mothers do, uh?

11. Angela says:

Thanks for your good intentions Florcita, don’t let it stress you. Perhaps we can do some for your son next year.

12. Tiffane says:

Hi Angela,
    Hello from Australia. What stories this Bunting will tell !
    Happy to help ! I’ll make two as well.
    Don’t forget to let me know your address for postage.

13. Angela says:

Wow, thank you Tiffane. Flags from three continents now, this is really good. Email on it’s way to you.

14. Trudis says:

Hello Angela,

I love to make a flag for you, I am a feltmaker too and I will make some time free for your lovely project! Do not forget to let me know your address for postage.

Lots of love from Spain
    Trudis

15. Angela says:

Thank you Trudis. This is great I’m so excited. Email on it’s way to you. 🙂

16. Els says:

I love to make a flag for you, I am a feltmaker too and I will make a flag for you. Do You let me know your address for postage.?? And on what date you must have the flag???

With love, Els

17. Angela says:

Thank you Els, I’ll send you my address 🙂

18. Just got back from my hols! will be happy to join in the bunting bee! nail me for two and let me have your address please….good luck with the teaching and the summer hols. Sheila

19. Angela says:

20. viltalakim says:

I’d love to help you out too as I got the same idea 4 years ago, but then the amount of work it would take me turned me off:(
    When do you need them?