a life of fibre

Posts Tagged ‘printing’

‘Wool’ pot

Sunday, April 1st, 2018

I had a little bit of printing left after my Armley Mills pieces were made and felt inspired to make a pot with them.

You can see I’ve cut round the shape of the letters, the plan being to shape the rim of the pot in the same way.

The word is repeated on the other side too but in a different font and true to form, I forgot to take another photo during laying out.

This huge O and fancy L are my favourite letters. The font on the other side was so large it was difficult fitting it all on.

I used silk paj printed and felted onto Blue Faced Leicester. I did consider embellishing the pot but wasn’t sure and allowed myself to be convinced to leave it plain. Sometimes less is definitely more.

Armley Mills – Part 5

Wednesday, February 14th, 2018

Words weren’t the only items I wanted to print. On our visit to the archives I’d spotted some wallpaper blocks and with agreement from the museum we rummaged through to find one that might be used for printing.

Many of them weren’t suitable because they had felt on the wood which would have been stained by the oil based ink I was using. Eventually we found a felt free candidate.

Those of you who know me well know I can’t resist a curve.

The plan was to print this onto silk chiffon to create a new piece of felt,  this was for a second piece I intended to create.

The floor was the only flat space large enough to work on. Paper down first and then the silk, all taped into position.

It was quite nerve racking inking it up for the first time, I wonder how many years since it was last used? Of course, when this was in use it would have been one of a set, with each block printing a different section of the pattern.

Each time I printed with the block I tried to change the orientation so that there would be areas of overlap in the print. It was such fun to do, one day I intend to do more printing in this manner, one day. More of what happened to this later.

Photography by Charlie Battersby

Armley Mills – Part 4

Sunday, February 11th, 2018

Last May I shared with you my experimentation using the museum press to print onto fabric which I then later felted to gauge how usable it would be in my final piece. The experiments worked very well and thanks to our IFA co-ordinator,  Linda Hulme, and museum curator, Chris Sharp, I was amongst a group that returned to the mill for a printing session.

I notified Chris in advance that I wanted to print the word wool in as many fonts and sizes of lettering as was possible from the equipment in the archives.

There was a great selection to choose from.

I wanted to mix up the sizes and the fonts as much as possible.

The trick with printing of course is to have the word back to front, NOT like I’ve set them out above. Once they were the correct way round I was ready to ink and position them for printing.

On with silk, followed by a sheet of paper, a felt cover and then ready to go.

This took far more force then I expected and was a real workout. So, feet sliding on the floor, I managed to do one or two before Chris came to my rescue and printed the rest. Either the men using these in the heyday were well muscled or the machines ran more eaily. Perhaps it was a combination of the two.

Photography by Charlie Battersby