Eco Printing – Part two

After the initial experiments on paper we moved onto cotton and silk chiffon. We laid out lining paper then the damp mordanted cotton, followed by the vegetation.

IMG_1660

As you can see, I went for more is more on the basis that I’d cram as many leaves as possible on to gauge how well they worked. On top of the leaves we put the damp silk chiffon and on top of that, simple copier paper.

IMG_1676 - Copy

Above is the copier paper after steaming, you can see I got a lovely print from it. Below is the print onto cotton, came out well didn’t it?

IMG_9705

The section below shows prints from 3 different types of roses.

IMG_9706

Geranium leaves worked well and if you’re wondering what the darker spots are, that’s onion skins.

IMG_9707

Silk chiffon is a more open weave fabric so it’s harder to see the design but it’s definitely there.

IMG_9708

Close up from the silk chiffon.

IMG_9710

The remainder of the photos are of other people’s work but there are some great prints so I really wanted to show them.

IMG_1680

Blackberry leaves worked well in the one above.

IMG_1681

IMG_1682

IMG_1683

IMG_1684

The pink comes from pieces of beetroot – we all know how difficult that is to remove when spilled on clothes! Once I’ve felted up the silk chiffon I’ll show you what it looks like.

2 Replies to “Eco Printing – Part two”

  1. This is so cool!! I have a daughter doing textile design at art college in Dundee. I have to show her this – I know she’ll be inspired. Lovely stuff.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *