This is a project I was commissioned to do some time in the spring and finally finished and sent off in September. Not entirely sure why it took me so long to get started on it but life seems to have been a bit like that this year. I particularly like book cover commissions and this is the second I’ve been lucky enough to receive from this customer.
It would be easier with the book in front of you but it can be done and I rely upon careful measurements being supplied. My brief was to incorporate trees and a small cross. The cover is for a much loved but old and now slightly fragile bible, with this in mind I wanted the inside of the cover to be a little bit special so I lined it with bamboo fibres.
Bamboo has similar properties to wool as it wicks moisture away and it’s also somewhat antibacterial plus it gives a lovely sheen making it feel special.
In the end I decided upon 2 crosses, one on the front and one on the spine.
Once felted, the trees sank into the background more then I would have liked so I brought it back by using a running stitch along the branches in a bronze thread which was semi sparkly and I just loved how that turned out. You can see below I used more running stitch on the cross to give added texture but the shading was very subtle.
I felt it important to have a few berries left on the tree on the front of the cover and used plum coloured beads to bring these to life. More could have been added but it’s true that less is sometimes more.
The shot below is my favourite because the light and the bricks just work together beautifully to show the cover off. You can see the second cross on the spine which was outlined using a simple backstitch. You can see the tree trunk stitching too which I really enjoyed doing.
View of the back. I like to dry the finished felt on the book it’s to cover so that it dries in shape, of course, I do cover the book with plastic first to protect it from moisture. As I didn’t have the bible to work with I took a tape measure and sampled various books until I found ones which, when stacked together, gave me the exact measurement of the spine of the bible.
The edge was finished with blanket stitch in two colours of thread as I used grey along the bottom and a midnight blue everywhere else so that it toned in and became part of the cover but in no way detracting from it. I’m pleased to report that it fitted perfectly and the customer was delighted with it 🙂