Midsummer Night’s Dream – Skirt

I started this skirt…oh so long ago! I finished some months ago as it was a piece I created for my Midsummer Night’s Dream work with Metaphor Textile Group. The problem I was having was in photographing it.

Not great is it. The skirt is long so I had to extend the top of the mannequin up which meant it kept toppling over in the breeze. Not that I got outside to photograph it very often as it was usually too wet, grey, windy or all three. I asked my daughter Charlotte if she would do a photo shoot over the summer, she agreed and even convinced a friend to be the model.

The shoot couldn’t begin until they were both home at the same time and the day dawned brightish but grey. Our model, and Charlotte’s friend, Rio Hindle is a lovely girl, very happy to sit, stand, pose as directed and not minding damp, dirty feet. Best of all, I couldn’t believe my luck, the skirt fitted perfectly as though it had been made for her with not even one tiny adjustment required.

The skirt is Merino wool which was hand carded in shades of greens and plum, dyed tussah silk noil added and the inside lined with green mulberry silk which is what you can see on the waistband and ‘bustle’.

The hemline is covered with Teeswater curls which I hand dyed and then I hand beaded with a green glass bead which matched the mulberry silk embellishment.

Rio’s top is fashioned from one of my scarves, another item which fitted remarkably well.

I thought I should also share with you a few of the ‘poses’ the photographer, Charlie Battersby, adopted 🙂



I’m not sure pale blue denims were the most suitable attire for the shoot but I’m sure you’ll agree she did a brilliant job. Was I there? yes, of course, I was responsible for aiding the model climb onto and off various structures, tweaking the outfit, carrying the shoes and getting in the way. Here’s me photo bombing.

My grateful thanks to our model Rio Hindle and my talented photographer duaghter Charlie Battersby. I hope you’ll see some pictures of the shoot on her site soon.

 

Woodland pots 2

Earlier in the week I showed you the first two pots I made with Midsummer Night’s Dream in mind. Two pots is good but I really felt it needed a third to complete the set and obviously it needed to be larger still. It’s actually the largest pot I’ve worked on in quite a while but I shrank it so far that you wouldn’t believe it.

IMG_1541

I used the same wool and embellishments as the other two and had originally envisaged tree like branches coming up off the pot into the air. That really didn’t work for me so I went instead for some cuts into the pot. Cutting is quite unusual for me, it’s not something I really like to do to felt but on this occasion, I haven’t minded and even wondered if I should have done them larger.

IMG_1543

IMG_1542

Adding further embellishment in the form of bead and stitch is something I will probably do but I won’t be rushing it. Time to sit, ruminate and approach with caution as I feel it needs to be done with a light hand and just the right beads. Perhaps I’ll have to source some new beads 🙂  The inside of the two larger pots are lined with crystal organza but I was unable to capture the sheen with my camera.

IMG_1545

The third pot really completes the family doesn’t it? Even when these have been embellished I have other ideas to work on with this theme one of which is a felt skirt, wish me luck.

Woodland pots

I think you’ve already seen the small one of these pots, both have been made as part of my Midsummer Night’s Dream work for Metaphor. It’s fairly obvious that bark and lichens are my inspiration.

IMG_1536

The pots are a mix of different wools including Bergschaf, Merino, Swaledale and Norwegian.

IMG_1538

There are Teeswater curls, synthetic and natural fabric inclusions plus mulberry bark, muberry silk, dyed silk cocoons and flax fibres.

IMG_1540

IMG_1539

They’re very well felted and quite stiff. I’m still debating whether to add some stitch, what do you think, would it improve it? Or beads perhaps? Both?

Tree bark

I’m still working (occasionally, as there’s not been much time) on my Midsummer Night’s Dream theme for my work with Metaphor. Fortunately there’s currently no end time so I’m able to work through without rushing.

For me, Midsummer Night’s Dream is all about the forest and the colours and textures. I will show you my sketchbook at some point but for now here’s one image

IMG_1363

I’m working on some pots and considered incorporating tree bark texture.

IMG_1364

Shades of red didn’t do it for me and I wanted the bark to be rougher and more broken up.

IMG_1366

The brown is better. If anything, it’s improved by the photo.

IMG_1367

I really love the curly edges but I’m not sure I want this all over the pot so will focus on colour and lichens in my next post.