Foolishly I decided to go online and check a few things this morning before I wrote this blog – 3 hours later and I’m finally writing it!!!! Technology must be one fo the greatest time wasters there is so I have just made myself a promise to spend less time on it.
We began the workshop by making small narrow nuno samples just large enough to be a scarf if required. For this we used cotton muslin as the fabric and tried out various ways of laying the wool, changing the ends and incorporating frills.
Muslin gives greater texture than the silk chiffon which we used later and so is good to practice on and compare end results. Sharon had a finger injury and spent the day trying valiantly (but ultimately fruitlessly) to keep her injury dry.
It’s interesting to see scarves being laid out and then contrast that with the finished item.
Kathryn’s scarf was beautifully laid out and was double sided. In fact, everyone made double sided scarves, some looked the same on each side and others were different on each side.
There’s a wonderful variety isn’t there?
The last two were made using the same coloured chiffon base but the addition of different wools and patterns means unique results. I love the nuno workshops, perhaps I should plan more?
Last Saturday was the last workshop of the year for me and we had a great day creating nuno scarves. I like to change the workshop a little each time and this time we worked on the scarves using pre-felts as well as Merino fibres, silks, lace and angelina fibre.
The base fabric is silk chiffon and we concentrated on making each scarf double sided often echoing the design without recreating it exactly. The one above (Gill’s) has leaf shapes created using a white pre-felt whilst below (Bill’s) the shapes are more abstract.
Fran created this explosion of colour below. The spirals were created in pre-felt and although you can’t see it in the photos it’s liberally sprinkled with angelina. Bill and Fran are both keen beaders so I’m expecting to see these well and truly embellished.
The angelina fibres are more visible in the one below (Janet’s) and the carding of fibres for the border was subtle but very effective.
Karen said she felt quite awkward when she began carding fibres for the scarf below but was quite adept before the end. Carded fibres have a lot of depth and movement so they’re well worth the effort.
June spent time cutting circles from pre-felt and it was time well spent. I love the tail at one end.
The scarf below (Angie’s) used pre-felt strips in the body and at one end plus some lace and Teeswater curls. I do like asymmetrical ends.
Finally, but not least, this colourful offering from Kay with pre-felts and Teeswater curls on the end.
It was a very productive day and I look forward to next years workshops.