In progress

I’ve had this on the go for about 4 weeks but so far have had very little time to spend on it.

The paler green in the shot is mulberry silk which will be on the inside of the skirt and is followed by a fine layer of forest green Merino.

Then came an ultra fine layer of carded greens with dyed mulberry silk noil and some hand dyed Teeswater locks on the bottom.

The laying out took a whole day and then I felted it to the pre-felt stage

The original intention was to have a wrap around skirt but as it goes along I’m not sure about that, we’ll just have to see. I’m hoping to have more time to spend on it over the Christmas break.


Skirt remodelling part 3

Just a brief update. After dithering for days I finally made the decision to chop out the triangular panel at the back and have it as a simple straight wrap around. I stitched the seam then tried it as a skirt – really really not liking it, it’s just too bulky.


So it’s not going to be a skirt. It’s lightweight, warm and bulky. Suggestions please for what else I can make with it. I’m considering starting again and perhaps using it in a nuno felted bag.

Skirt remodelling part 2 – Decisions

I’m considering entering my skirt (finished!!!) into the Ilkley Flower Show under the category ‘something new from something old’ but my skirt will still be a skirt. Opinions so far seem to be that it would meet the category requirement – do you agree?  The reason I’m considering entering is that the show takes place next month which will force me to finish the skirt, otherwise I fear there’s a very real danger of it being hiddeen in a cupboard and forgotten about.


I like the texture I’ve achieved on the felted sections but the weight of those is pulling the non felted section out of shape. The central triangle won’t hang down and, as expected, the join is ruched where one section is felted and the other not.


So I have 3 options unless anyone can come up with more for me. First – stitch some pleats into the triangle to hold it in place and give it fullness at the back. I don’t think this will look that pretty and then that section will be markedly different in length to the rest – see below.


Option two is to use two of the triangular pieces which I’ve already removed to create extra thickness in this area. It looks okay and if I stagger the lengths it will also give me frills. The contrast between felted and not is nice.


Or my third option is to cut out the central back triangle and just stitch it straight up, which makes it more structured looking. It needs darts for shaping and a wasitband but you get the idea.


Part of me wants the straight wrap around and part wants the layered frill section in the back. There is a difference in material weights and I don’t know if it will behave or feel odd on, perhaps those of you with more experience can help me here. I do know that there is a slight risk that unless handled carefully during washing the felted sections could shrink a little more which would affect the back again. Think I’m talking myself into a straight wrap around but I’d love to hear what you think.

Skirt remodelling part 1

I bought this skirt about three years ago, I adore the colours and yet hardly ever wear it.


It’s a very thin cotton which makes it rather too cool to wear  in winter and yet it has so much fabric that I end up getting too hot and bothered by yards of the stuff round my legs in summer. Although it had a piece across the hips (it probably has a name but as you’ll soon see I’m no dressmaker so haven’t a cluse what it’s called)  so that most of the fabric was below hip level it was a dreaded elasticated waist. Love the fabric but the style isn’t flattering to my ample hips.

I’ve been wondering how I could re-use the fabric then decided to be brave and transform it into a new skirt – shorter and wrap around. To begin I removed the waist section. The main portion of the skirt comprised  6 rectangular and 6 triangular pieces. I cut out 4 of the triangular pieces removing much of the excess and cut the skirt open on the sixth triangular piece.


You can already see how much less fabric there is now and removing the waist section has made it shorter. Two of the triangular pieces remain, one at the end just in case I need the extra length to wrap around and one in the centre back.


You can see the back looks longer and fuller where I’ve left in the final triangle. The plan is to nuno felt the 6 rectangular panels leaving the back triangle clear of wool. I quite fancy the change in texture and the fullness remaining but it’s a risk, the fabric could easily go out of shape. If it doesn’t work then I’ll go back and nuno the triangular sections later.


Using the surplus waist section I did a test piece and satisfied that I still liked the fabric when finished, carded up fibres. I’ve used Peacock, Turquoise, Sea Green, Forest Green and Maroon Merino from Adelaide Walker.

Gorgeous isn’t it. This is quite a big job  and my table is too small so I worked on the floor.


All laid out except for the central triangular section as you can see.


Once laid out and wetted out I rolled it up and worked on my kitchen worktop. In this hot weather it’s actually the coolest room in the house.


Just unroll a section at a time and you can work on very large projects in your kitchen which has the added benefit of being the right height. I have some concerns about how this whole thing is going to work out but now I’ve had a break think I’ll go and do the final felting and fulling. wish me luck.