In this instance I’m not referring to a pair of slip on sandals but the pair of hand warmers I made last week. My Daughter is dating a farmer’s lad and I was very kindly given 3 fleece to play with – a Mule, a Balwen and a Zwarbles. Although I’ve had very little time to properly look them over and decide what I want to do with them I did have a little play and pulled out some of the softest part of the Mule for a wash ……
and a card …….
Wool is like an amazing cloud when it’s been carded. Even though I’d washed the fleece I could still feel the lanolin in the fleece and knew I need a little more soap when I began to felt with the fibres. As I’ve been crazy busy I wanted a small project that I could finish quickly and also to assess what I thought of the fleece as it’s the first time I’ve worked with this particular breed. I chose wrist warmers …….
Now here I have to admit that I’m not sure which fleece I’ve used to decorate the edges as I dashed out to the garage in the dark and grabbed a handful of coloured wool. Not even sure which sack I took it from but once I get the fleeces out of the bags I’m sure I’ll be able to tell. I hope.
The finished wrist warmers worked out well. They’re very warm. Unfortunately I can’t wear them against my sensitive skin but perhaps I should gift them back to the farmer as a thank you for the fleece. What do you reckon?
The wrist warmer workshop was fun with some lovely colour items being created. I have to apologise for this first photo of Sue’s owl wrist warmers, it’s out of focus but as it’s the only one I have and they’re so lovely I wanted to show them.
I know there are plans to add embellishments.
Green was a very popular colour with patterning provided by sari silk fibres and rovings. The short purple pair had a space dyed Merino for the pattern and they’re perfect to wear in the house to keep hands warm.
They’re al so colourful and warm, I’d recommend you make a pair for yourselves to try.
These are lovely, I just wanted to share them with you. Carded Merino with swiss lace edging. and a motif created in BFL roving.
White Merino with black lace.
These are my Daughter’s favourites. Spaces on the workshop next week if you fancy joining us.
I have a wrist warmer workshop coming up on Saturday 2nd November on which there are still a few spaces. So here’s some pics of samples and ideas of ones you could make. I’d expect you to come away with at least 2 pairs.
The purple ones are nuno felted with silk fibres embellishments.
Carded Merino in russet and blue.
Nuno wrist warmers with black Merino and white Mulberry Silk.
Short wrist warmers with wool nepps and an a fab button
Wrist warmer with soya on the inside and silk fibres on the outside of the Merino wool.
Pure Merino wool in blue, green and black.
Blue Faced Leicester wool with BFl roving forming the pattern.
What do you think of the heart motif? I think perhaps a lace up pair of warmers would be nice, I’ll go work on some.
I saw these on Mollie Makes and knew they were perfect for my daughter Charlotte.
Owls are all the range and Charlotte has just bought herself an owl hat. My first thought was to see if I could buy anything similar as I don’t do much knitting these days but when that failed there was nothing for it but to buy the magazine with the pattern included. Not only do I not knit much, I’ve never used double pointed needles (DPNs) and I’ve never cabled either.
Casting on was easy and from there on it all went downhill very quickly. I completed row one but didn’t see how this joined up and the pattern didn’t explain so I went on the internet and found myself some instructions closely followed by taking it undone and starting again. To say I had a little trouble would be understating it, It didn’t help that when the pattern said put the cable needle to the front I mistakenly held it to the back. Seventeen tries later I managed to get beyond the ribbed wrist!
DPNs are the spawn of the devil when you’ve never used them before not helped by the stitches falling off one or more needles on more than one occasion. Changing to bamboo needles sorted that one. I struggled with the thumb, my stitches were loose and it looked like I had holes. When I finally finished one it looked like this.
Those of you who knit will know that I didn’t read the pattern correctly and that’s why the body of the owl on the cable stitches isn’t right. Of course, all this had to be done after Charlotte went to bed so I was starting work on them late at night when tired, had never used DPNs or cable knitted before. Somehow I can’t help feeling it should have been easier than this. Completing one really helped as it meant I could work out what was happening, Working 3D you can’t see correct side of the work and I didn’t understand it from the back.
Having completed one I went back to the pattern for the next one and all it said was “reverse” for the other hand. What! I just paid for this, you tell me how to reverse not expect me to work it out myself. After calming down I worked out what needed to be done and managed to get the thumb hole in the right place. Shame I forgot to reverse the instructions for the increases!! Anyway, warts and all, here they are finished.
Not mistake free but made with love and loved by the recipient.